11th February 2021
Shrove Tuesday, popularly known as Pancake Day, is almost upon us. Whether you prefer them sweet or savoury, pancakes are delicious and simple to make. Mark Little, Head Chef here at our award-winning restaurant, has shared his recipe and top tips for creating perfect pancakes.
- 125g sieved plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 300ml of full fat milk
- 1 tablespoon of honey or golden syrup
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ a vanilla pod
- Add the vanilla pod, honey/golden syrup and eggs to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to the bowl.
- Add 100ml of milk to the bowl and whisk all the ingredients together.
- Once smooth, gradually the remaining milk and continue to whisk.
NOTE: Getting the batter smooth before adding the rest of the milk is the key to getting your pancakes light and thin.
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan and spray with oil spray for an even coating.
- Let the pan heat up a little more, lift the pan and add the batter with a ladle, swirling the pan to thinly coat the base of the pan with batter.
- Return the pan to the heat and cook for 1-1½ minutes, at which time you can then flip your pancake.
- You can try the fun way or use a spatula.
- Cook for a further 1-1½ minutes, then turn out onto a plate.
- Repeat this process till all the batter is finished.
There is so much you can do... The classic way is to sprinkle with caster sugar and a squeeze of lemon.
It’s question time…
What’s your favourite topping, Mark?
“A personal favourite is to add a quarter of a teaspoon of mixed spice to the recipe and serve with freshly sliced banana and a dusting of icing sugar, but you also can’t beat the classic sugar and lemon juice combination.”
Which type of pancake is your favourite, savory or sweet?
“As I child I always had a sweet tooth, but now I definitely prefer savoury.”
Do you have a top tip for making the perfect pancake?
“The best tip I could give would be to take your time and not rush the pancake by having the heat to high, slow and steady wins the race.”
Read more on our blog
Keep up to date with everything going on at our restaurant.